Since 1983, Intuit QuickBooks has supported small businesses everywhere with comprehensive software that replaces traditional professional services like bookkeeping. Nonprofits, manufacturers, restaurants, and countless other industries turn to QuickBooks products to manage their finances. Today, QuickBooks software breaks down into two delivery methods, desktop versions or cloud-based online options. QuickBooks Online is a platform customers use via internet access instead of a traditional locally-installed software package. QuickBooks Desktop is a locally-installed software package stored on physical devices like a computer or server. The desktop lineup includes QuickBooks Pro and Pro Plus for small businesses and QuickBooks Premier Plus and QuickBooks Enterprise for larger organizations. In this article, we break down the difference between the small business-centric QuickBooks Pro and Pro Plus versions of the desktop software. We also explore some pros and cons of both offerings and give our insight into which option is the better buy. Don't have a server or need one to power a thin client? Summit Hosting's QuickBooks hosting platform has everything you need to get started without the massive upfront investment of an on-site solution. Learn more about why we are the best QuickBooks hosting option on our website!
What is QuickBooks Desktop Pro?QuickBooks Desktop Pro is accounting software ideal for small businesses. It has a handful of bookkeeping functions to keep your finances in order. Popular features that business owners love include the following:
- Expense tracking – You can track cash flow through income and expenses, log payments from each employee, and import financial data from external sources, like Excel.
- Inventory management and tracking – With QuickBooks Pro, you can monitor products on hand, manage purchase orders, view reports, and analyze insights. Plus, the software can notify users when product inventory runs low or a potential overorder.
- Payroll – Payroll functionality allows you to manage employee information, payroll records, payment amounts, and time tracking. Also, you can export reports to share with other team members or business partners.
- Bill management – Keep tabs on your bills and other outgoing expenses, like credit card interest. Never miss a due date with reminders, and keep up-to-date on upcoming charges.
- Tax tracking – Stay in the know on the amount of income and sales tax your business pays and show detailed information on the taxes you pay over time.
- Invoice creation and sales features – Create customizable invoices and estimates for your products or services. You can automate reminders for outstanding invoices and collect payments. You can also engage in sales forecasting using sales tracking reports or any of the other 100+ available reports.
What is QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus?The Pro Plus version of QuickBooks has all the same features as the Pro version but with some added features that boost the software's capabilities. These features include:
- Automatic data backups – Back up company data on a regular schedule to easily engage in disaster recovery if something happens.
- Free annual product upgrades – Thanks to an annual subscription, upgrading to the latest version is free.
- Unlimited support over the phone – QuickBooks Pro Plus customers have unlimited support via phone without any extra charge, plus they get answers to FAQs through online resources.
- Exclusive access to new features – Be the first to hear about and use the latest features and improvements.
- Security patches and updates – Keep your company files and financial data secure with constant improvements to security.
Main Differences Between QuickBooks Pro vs. Pro PlusQuickBooks Pro and Pro Plus are very similar desktop software platforms that help manage your business's finances. However, there are some subtle differences and essential information to remember before making your final decision.
- Price points – As of Pro and Pro Plus 2022, both QuickBooks products charge a yearly subscription fee. For the Pro version, that cost is $549 per year. The Pro Plus Version is only $50 more at $599.
- User groups – The Pro version only supports one user. The Pro Plus version also supports one user for the base cost but can add up to three users at $200 more per user.
- Device accessibility – Both QuickBooks versions are available on Microsoft Windows, Mac, or smart devices via mobile app.
- Customer support – QuickBooks Desktop Pro comes with limited customer support options. However, Pro Plus users get unlimited support via phone Monday through Friday from 6 AM to 6 PM Pacific Time.
- Features – QuickBooks Pro sets businesses up for success with essential components needed to keep track of finances. However, Pro Plus adds critical security and upgrade support. Neither feature enhanced features like e-commerce or industry-specific reports. For those, you need to upgrade to QuickBooks Desktop Premier or Enterprise.
Pros and Cons of QuickBooks ProAs with any QuickBooks software, there are pros and cons to evaluate when deciding which version will be most effective for your business. Pros:
- Has everything a small business needs to manage finances
- Invoicing and reporting features
- Not available online; must call a salesperson to purchase
- Limited mobile app
- Not as good a deal as QuickBooks Online
Pros and Cons of QuickBooks Pro PlusQuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus is a solid upgrade over its entry-level counterpart. Although it provides improvements, there are still some pros and cons to be aware of. Pros:
- Adds security features and disaster recovery support
- Can add-on enhanced payroll features
- Free upgrades
- Still more pricey compared to QuickBooks Online
- Only supports one user, and extra users cost more
- Limited mobile app